March 15, 2020
New safety procedure for signature items
As the situation caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) rapidly evolves, Canada Post continues to monitor issues and respond to the various safety recommendations made by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
As a result, in order to help minimize points of close contact in our communities, we are adjusting some procedures related to items that require a signature, proof of age and proof of identity:
• We will no longer be requesting signatures from customers for deliveries to the door.
• Regular signature items will be treated as non-signature items, reducing the need for close contact between delivery agents and customers.
• Instead, where possible, our delivery agents will apply our safe drop process. This means they will leave these deliveries in the mailbox or outside the door if it’s safe to do so. Where it’s not possible to safe drop, the delivery agent will leave a notice card indicating the post office where customers can pick up their items by showing proof of identity.
• Note that for Registered, Xpresspost Certified, Proof of Identity and Proof of Age items, as well as items where custom fees are due, a signature will still be required. The delivery agent will leave a notice card indicating the post office where customers can pick up their items by showing proof of identity and signing.
• Items where the label identifies “Do not safe drop” will continue to follow our usual process for delivery.
We will continue to monitor the situation around COVID-19, which as you know has become extremely fluid.
We will keep you updated about any adjustments or changes we will be making to increase the safety of our employees, customers and communities. We will also continue to keep you informed of our progress as we serve Canadians during this difficult period.
March 15, 2020